The best part? They are gluten free!
The recipe calls for tapioca starch or potato starch, both of which I couldn't find here in Athens. So, Renata suggested that I could use potatos.
I played around with the idea and I followed the recipe for fake Pão de Queijo, using dried instant potato mash and corn starch.
Fake Pão de Queijo
recipe adapted by me
15 gm butter
100 gm corn starch
100 gr instant dried potato mash
3 gm baking powder
salt, pepper and paprika to taste
70 gm grated graviera cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
* Preheat oven to 180°C.
* Boil the milk, water and butter together.
*In a bowl, mix the potato mash, the corn starch, salt, paper, paprika and baking powder.
* Pour the hot milk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir.
* Add the egg, olive oil and cheese, stir until well combined.
* Make little balls with lightly oiled hands and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
* Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
* Serve warm or cool.
I kept some dough and warmed the toaster, made a dough pattie and baked it for a minute or two.
Fantastic, because it is even crunchier!
Soft little balls of cheese heaven with a litlle bit of crunch and spice (from the paprika)! My husband loved them so much, I had to make another batch!
I wonder, though, how we could make them sweet!? I do have a sweet tooth...
Really great challenge Renata! Thank you!