This month our host was Sawsan, who is blogging over at Chef in Disguise!
She chose a lovely topic: Sweet Breads! And not just a plain bread... A braided bread, like art!
So challenging and oh, so fun! I liked the process very much!
Out of the two recipes, I chose the one for the chocolate filling, although slightly adapted.
adapted to my pantry!!!
300 gr evaporated milk
150 gr icing sugar
200 ml olive oil
250 ml warm water
13 gr dry active yeast
1 kg all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
25 gr milk powder
45 ml warm water
15 gr icing sugar
100 gr sugar
50 gr melted butter
6 tbsp chocolate malted milk powder
* Preheat the oven to 240oC.
* Mix the milk, sugar, yeast, water and eggs in the mixer with the paddle attachment.
* Start adding the flour, one cup at a time.
* After the first 2 or 3 cups, switch to the dough hook and keep adding the flour.
* The dough will be rather sticky, but that's OK.
* Place the dough in an oiled bowl, form a ball and let it rest, until it doubles in size, in a warm place.
* Punch it down and divide it two parts. Put one back in the bowl and work with the other.
* Divide the dough in 4 parts and roll them in disks about 25 cm in diameter.
* Cut a piece of parchment paper, bigger than the disks.
* Place the first disk on the paper, brush with some butter and spread sugar and malted milk.
* Repeat for all the layers and finish with some butter on top of the last.
* Now for the tricky part: Braiding!
For this, I used the given design. I cut the dough and twisted the pieces.
* Mix all the dough wash ingredients and brush some on the bread.
* Let it rest for 15 min.
* Carefully take the bread with the parchment paper under it and place it on a baking tray.
* Bake for 5 min. on 240oC, then reduce the temp to 200oC and bake for 25 min.
While bread Nr 1 is baking, start working on that second dough piece.
* Punch it down, if it has risen again (mine did).
* Repeat the process. For this I chose a filling of my homemade apple thyme jam.
* Apart from the dough wash, I sprinkled some cinnamon on top as well!
We loved them!G. loved the apple one and I devoured the chocolate one.
Fresh from the oven:
The first design is a lot more clear, because of the antithesis of the chocolate.
-I didn't use sweetened condensed milk, because I forgot to buy it and I simply couldn't go out to the store again.
-I used 2 eggs, not 3, because I always do that, reduce the eggs in a recipe by one.
-For the filling, I simply didn't use nutella in order to reduce the calories.
Next time I will make this recipe EXACTLY like it says. Even pour sweetened milk on top after it comes out of the oven. I must be so good!
As for the braiding, I enjoyed it so much, as it was the first time I did it!!!
Seriously, a very fun challenge! Thank you Sawsan!