Saturday 28 December 2013

Daring Bakers - December 2013!

Well, after two whole months of not participating to the DB Challenges, I must say I was really really happy and excited to make Whoopie Pies!!!

Yes, Whoopie Pies. A lovely challenge hosted by the very talented Bourbonnatrix!

I used the given recipe for chocolate Whoopie Pies, only I made them more chocolatey by adding melted milk chocolate and a little espresso coffee, very little, maybe half a shot.
For the filling I already had some Swiss Meringue Buttercream in the freezer, which I thawed and flavoured with maple syrup.

I simply adore the combination of chocolate and maple!

Whoopie Pies

115 gr butter
1/2 shot espresso coffee
200 gr brown sugar
5 gr baking powder
3 gr baking soda
5 gr salt
a pinch of vanilla
1 egg
45 gr cocoa
285 gr all purpose flour
240 ml milk
100 gr melted chocolate

* Preheat the oven to 180oC. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
* Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla until smooth.
* Add the egg and beat smooth again.
* Add the cocoa and mix gently.
* Pour the coffee and mix until incorporated.
* Add the melted chocolate and mix well.
* Add flour and milk in turns and mix until smooth and incorporated.
* On the prepared sheets drop balls of dough, how big, well it depends on how big you want your whoopie pies.
* Bake for about 15 minutes until they are firm to the touch.
* Remove from the oven and cool for 10 min on the sheets, then remove them with a spatula and let them cool completely, before you fill them.

The batter is rather thick.
I made balls using two tablespoons.


I piped the filling, so that it would look prettier!
.

After making these, I realised that they resemble a Greek treat called "kok", which comes in individual portions and in bite sizes. The difference is that while "kok" is a vanilla cake with vanilla filling and chocolate glaze on top, the whoopie pie can be found in so many flavor combinations!

This is what I really like about them, the versatility.

I am certainly going to make them again, bite size this time!


Thank you Bourbonnatrix for a great challenge!

Louise!

2 comments:

What's for dessert? said...

Looks delicious! Happy holidays!

Bourbonnatrix said...

Swiss meringue buttercream sounds so good as a filling! Great job on the challenge! Thanks for playing along this month!