Comfort food is a weakness of mine. I love not having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, in the evening or when I come home from work.
Sometimes I have already cooked from the previous day or I choose a recipe that is quick and easy.
Like this tomato soup, for example. Easy, fast, delicious and versatile!
My inspiration for this soup was something G. likes to eat a lot. He buys ready-made tomato soup mixes with croutons, because some nights he wants something quick and easy to eat. I didn't like what I read on the package, though and I wanted a healthier option. I also wanted to omit the sugar...
I make a large batch and keep it the fridge for about 5 days. We take out as much as we want and simply heat it up.
1 tbsp butter
5 tomatoes, ripe
1 large onion
spices of choice
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 can concentrated tomato juice
pinch of salt
3-4 tbsp heavy cream
* Heat the oil with the butter in a large pot.
* Chop the onion and brown it a little.
* Add the spices.
(I use hot paprika, onion powder, dried garlic, dried oregano, black pepper, dried thyme)
* Give it a stir, so that the spices become fragrant.
* Add the tomatoes chopped, the diced tomatoes and the juice.
* Add the salt and 2 cups hot water and bring to a boil.
* Reduce the temperature and let it cook for 30min.
* When it is done, remove it from the fire and using a hand blender, blend it in the pot until it is smooth and creamy.
* Bring it to a boil and remove.
To serve, pour some some in a bowl and add the heavy cream and the grated cheese.
This recipe is a base. I have made it plenty of times either as it is, or by adding vegetables that happened to be in my fridge. Peppers are lovely in this soup!
If you want, you can accompany it with some bread slices, that you have previously brushed with olive oil and baked in the oven for a few minutes or some croutons!