After baking a rainbow birthday cake and frosting it, I ended up having a lot of egg yolks left.
I have found a recipe for a Golden Cake, that uses egg yolks.
Well, I have no words... It is the tastiest, moistest vanilla cake I have ever had. Every one loves it and it pairs so good with cream cheese, orange, vanilla, honey, lemon, .... you name it!
The recipe for the cake is from the very talented Summer at Cake, Paper, Party. Generally I use it as it is given, but this time I changed it a bit: 9 yolks and 1 egg.
zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
orange juice from 1/2 orange
* Put all the ingredients in a small pot.
* Stir gently over medium heat.
* Keep stirring.
* It will thicken a little, but it will still be runny.
* Put it in a jar and let it cool.
* Once cool, put it in the fridge and it will thicken up.
* Use in a tart, on a cake or eat it with a spoon....
Cream Cheese buttercream frosting
recipe inspired from here
250gr cream cheese
vanilla or vanillin
600gr icing sugar
a few drops of lemon or orange juice
* Beat butter and cream cheese.
* Add the vanilla (as much as you want, I use vanillin).
* Add the icing sugar gradually.
* Adjust for thickness.
This one is a little blurry, but you have to see this honey curd oozing.... OMG!!
Note: these layers freeze so good! You simply thaw them on the kitchen counter completely and they are ready to use!