When it comes to the nutrition of my little one, I try to be healthy whenever I can and to the max!
In that mind-status, if I can make something myself, instead of buying at the store (cake, candy, bread, etc.), I go for it. Our pediatrician agrees, as well!
The cereal you find at the super market are full of sugar and so many artificial "icky" stuff. I searched for a good, healthy and tasty recipe and luckily I stumbled upon a recipe from Michelle of Brown Eyed Baker, which I use as a base and alter, depending on our cravings!
Chocolate Chip Granola
70gr maple syrup
70gr brown sugar
20gr white sugar
3 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
300gr chocolate chips
80 + 20gr olive oil
* Preheat the oven to 165oC.
* In a bowl mix maple syrup, sugars, vanilla and salt.
* Add 80gr olive oil and whisk until combined.
* Add the oats and the choc chips and stir with a spatula to coat, until the oats are moist.
* If needed, add the remaining olive oil.
* Prepare a pan with parchment paper and empty the oats in it.
* Press very firmly to compact (I use the bottom of a very small metallic coffee pot).
* Bake for 45 min.
* Once ready, elt it cool completely and then break it to pieces.
As I said, this is my base.
I can add whatever we wish and the result is still amazing!
This is Chocolate Chip Cranberry Sprinkles granola (my little one loves sprinkles!).
In this case, the dried cranberries add a nice acidic touch to the sweetness of the recipe.