Summer to me is a lot of things.....
One of them is apricots. Oh, I love them. Their smell, their texture, so so tasty!
So naturally, I used them in a cake!
Fresh apricot upside - down cake
for the pan:
150gr brown sugar
apricots, cut in fourths, as many as you need to cover the base of your pan
for the cake:
210gr all purpose flour
1,5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
150gr white sugar
1,5 tsp vanilla extract
* Preheat the oven to 180oC.
* Heat the butter until melted and foamy.
* Add the brown sugar and cook it for a couple of minutes. If not all the sugar is dissolved don't worry.
* Pour into the cake pan and arrange the apricots on top.
* Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder. Add salt.
* Beat butter, sugar and vanilla, until light and fluffy.
* Beat in eggs one at a time.
* Add the flour, alternating it with buttermilk (3 times flour, 2 times buttermilk).
* Gently pour batter or spoon it over the apricots.
* Bake for 45 minutes.
* Once out of the oven, let it stand 5 minutes and then invert it on a serving platter.
* Let it cool a bit, then dig in!
This cake is not too sweet and the taste of the fresh fruit is amazing! It caramelizes beautifully!
I don't know if you can make it with canned apricots. But I don't think the taste will be this fresh.