Chickpeas are an ingredient that I don't use often. No reason, it just happens.
I was in the super market, in the legumes section and they were calling me. And I answered. With a tasty recipe for a very healthy snack.
This recipe is inspired by a traditional Greek recipe called "fava Santorinis", which is made by pureeing, well, fava!
recipe by me
1/2 ripe avocado
2 tbsp olive oil
a little parsley
* Put the chickpeas in a bowl of water and soak them overnight.
* Next day, boil them in a pot with the onion chopped.
* While they boil, using a spoon, skim the foam. It takes some time, because you want the chickpeas to soften a lot, to the point that you can mash them with a fork. That means you may need to add water while they boil.
* Strain them, reserve 1 cup of the juice and put them in a blender along with the avocado, parsley, salt and pepper, garlic and the olive oil.
* Mix thoroughly. It must look like a dense puree. So if needed, add a little olive oil or a tbsp or two from the strained juice.
* Serve and decorate with chopped onion or accompany it with fresh raw bell peppers.
** Adjust the seasoning to your taste. I love garlic, so I tend to use a little more than others!
** If you don't like avocado, just omit it.
It is very good, you must try it! Plus it is healthy!