Everyone in my family knows I can bake. So, from time to time, there will be an "order" from someone!
My father-in-law found a recipe (!) for an orange chocolate dessert, that he asked for, for the next time we would have a big family lunch. Naturally I said OK!
Orange Chocolate Dessert
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup soft butter
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3 eggs separated
3 tbsp orange liqueur
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup orange jam
2 tbsp orange liqueur
* Preheat the oven to 180oC.
* Butter and flour a 23cm round spring form pan.
* Melt the chocolate and let it cool.
* Mix in a bowl the flour, the almonds, the baking powder and the salt.
* Beat the butter and the sugar until creamy.
* Add the egg yolks one by one.
* Very slowly add the melted chocolate.
* Add the flour and the liqueur.
* Beat the egg whites until very stiff.
* Incorporate them in the mixture gently.
* Pour into the pan and bake for 40-50 min. until you insert a toothpick in the centre and it comes clean.
* Leave it in the pan for 5 min. and then invert it on a rack to let it cool completely.
* For the filling, you melt the chocolate with the butter and let it cool, so that you can spread it.
* Warm the jam with the liqueur a bit.
* Cut the cake in two layers.
* Place one layer on a platter, wet it with some liqueur and spread most of the chocolate filling.
* Cover with the other layer and wet it too.
* Spread the remaining chocolate and the jam.
My father-in-law was happy and everybody at the table really enjoyed it. I must admit that the orange-chocolate combination is a tricky one and does not suit every taste. This particular one was well balanced ans so so moist!