Wednesday 11 July 2012

Texas sheet cake!

My most favourite ingredient is chocolate by far, then comes lemon and vanilla.
Usually when I need to have something sweet, I immediately think of chocolate...

I had this recipe for a Texas sheet cake for some time now and I couldn't get it out of my head. It is an amazing cake which I spotted on Brown Eyed Baker.

I finally baked it.
First time no nuts on top.
Second time I added chopped hazelnuts on top.

Both times HEAVEN....

The recipe is very easy!

TEXAS Sheet Cake (very slightly adapted from the original)


Cake:
1 cup margarine
1 cup water
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda

Icing:
1/4 cup
6 tbsp milk
4 tbsp cocoa powder
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup chopped nut, if you want

Preheat the oven to 180o C and grease a pan, that is suitable for a shallow cake.It will not rise, so you can see how shallow or not it will be, even before you bake it.
Put margarine, water and cocoa in a pot and bring to a boil over medium. Remove and add in the flour, sugar and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the yogurt, eggs and baking soda and again whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth.
Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake for 20 - 25 min until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, prepare the icing.
In a pan bring the margarine, milk and cocoa powder to a boil. Remove from the heat and mix in the sugar until smooth. Stir in the nuts, if you will use.
Take the cake out of the oven and immediately pour the hot icing over the hot cake. If you want, poke here and there a few holes with a skewer. Let it set for 30 min.

Dig in and try not to eat it all at one sitting....

The cake in my pan. (excuse the bad photo...)
It is so moist.....
Yum....
See how the icing has cracked?
.
Seriously it is amazing, very tasty, very chocolaty and your guests will never guess there is no melted chocolate in it!
I don't have any pictures of the hazelnut version, because I thought about it too late and it was all gone... All I can say is that the hazelnuts do complement the chocolate!!!!

Mouthwatering!

No comments: