Monday 6 February 2012

Snickerdoodles!

Don't you just love this word? It sounds so funny!

These are traditional cookies and I kept seeing foodie posts on them, so I decided to try and make them.


 I read somewhere, I think on Wikipedia, that some recipes call for vinegar, so I added I tablespoon of red wine vinegar.
 I rolled them the traditional way: in cinnamon and sugar (use gloves!).
I like tasting my cookies hot, right from the baking sheet!

They are supposed to have this cracked effect on the surface. Some did, some didn't, but the taste was not affected!!!!
Crispy on the outside, sot on the inside, even the next day!

The recipe I used is this, which I adapted from a couple I found:

SNICKERDOODLES
1 cup margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp vinegar
to roll them: 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon (grounded)

Beat together margarine, eggs, vinegar and sugar. Mix together flour, tartar, baking soda and salt, then stir them in the egg mixture. Chill for at least 1 hour!
Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and preheat the oven to 180o C. Make little balls of dough using your hands, about 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Roll the balls in the sugar-cinnamon and place on a baking sheet. I covered mine with baking paper. Make sure there is space around each cookie, as they will spread.
Bake for 10 min, until the cookies are flat and cracked. Remove from the oven, let them sit in the baking sheets for 5 min and then put them on a wire rack to cool.

Ready! You will love the smell of cinnamon!

No comments: