Friday 10 February 2012

Lunch with friends 01 - First course!


Last Sunday we had our best man and his wife over for lunch. We wanted to invite them for some time now, but our schedules didn’t meet, until now.

So I planed our lunch and decided on a first course, salad, main course and dessert.
Since it was a cold day, for the first course I prepared a soup. I made a classic French onion soup, which is one of my favorites!

French Onion Soup
3 tbsp butter
4 onions sliced
2 tsp brown sugar (not too much or it will be very sweet…)
5 cups broth
¼ cup white wine
½ tbsp minced garlic
a pinch of garlic powder
a little thyme
4 cups croutons (onion, garlic or plain)
Kefalotyri or parmesan cheese shredded

Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onions. Soften them and then add the sugar. Stir until very soft but not burned!!!!
Bring the broth to a boil in a pot. Add the wine, garlics and thyme. Boil for a few minutes and then add the cooked onions. Boil for 2 minutes and remove pot from heat.
There are two ways (for me) to serve this soup. The one is you fill oven proof bowls, add croutons and some cheese and you broil the soup in the oven until the cheese melts. The other, which I do when I have people over for lunch is this: I fill my soup bowls and take them to the table. I have the croutons and the cheese in different bowls on the table, so that each guest will use as much as they want in their soup.





I do like my cheese!!!

No comments: