Tuesday 21 January 2014

DIY watercolours (the fast way)!

When it comes to my child and her activities, I try to minimise store bought things wherever I can.

She likes watercolours and I had bought her some, but I couldn't get the stain from her clothes well. I even ended up throwing away one of her blouses.

I came across this recipe for making your own. It is a quick way with no cooking and you don't have to wait too long for them to dry.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tbsp corn syrup
1/2 cup cornstarch
food colouring of your choice


* Put baking soda in a bowl and add vinegar (it will bubble).
* Mix in corn syrup.
* Add cornstarch and mix very well so that the mixture is liquid.
* Divide this mixture into smaller bowls and add food colours to make the combinations you want.
* Pour them into the ice cube tray and let it stand a bit, before using them.


I used an ice cube tray.
I always use coffee whisks for mixing food colours.

Gel food colours is what I used.
This is how we started....
.... this is how we ended up!

I can't say I was very satisfied with the result, as the colours formed a gelatinous surface that was not easy to penetrate with the brush.

Next time I will try another recipe, which takes longer to make, but resembles more the watercolours you see in the store.

Louise

P.S. Well, something different than a baking post, at last!

No comments: